If your dog has dry and irritated skin, you need to be extra careful in choosing the products to apply to them. Several dog shampoos for dry skin are now available in the market, specifically designed to meet the needs of your pet’s skin.
To help you determine which shampoo is the best, we have shortlisted some of the tips below. Let’s start.
How To Determine If Your Dog Has Dry Skin?
Like humans, every dog has a different skin type. So, the dryness symptoms may vary in each dog. But the list of most common symptoms that we see include,
- Hair loss
- Bad odor
- Scaly skin, etc
A dog with dry skin doesn’t need to suffer from all these symptoms. If you are still confused about whether your dog has this problem or not, you can visit a vet to confirm.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Best Dog Shampoo For Dry Skin And Dandruff?
There are multiple benefits of using the best dog shampoo for dry skin and dandruff. Some of them include,
- These shampoos have special moisturizing agents that prove to be effective in eliminating dryness and flakiness.
- The right shampoo stimulates the sebaceous glands. It helps in emitting the right amount of natural oils that should be on the skin’s surface.
- These shampoos help in removing the infestation of parasites. In most cases, the dryness occurs as the reaction of these parasites’ saliva; getting rid of the parasites will improve the skin’s condition.
- The most common causes of scaling and dandruff are bacteria and infections. With these shampoos, you can get rid of these problems as well.
- One of the most common reasons for flakiness is the unbalanced PH level. These shampoos help to restore the PH balance of the skin.
- These shampoos are recommended by vets to relieve the itching sensations in dogs.
What Are the Factors to Consider in Buying Dog’s Shampoo?
As you are looking for the best dog shampoo for dry, itchy skin, remember to compare the following factors:
Many shampoos targeting the dryness problem often contain special chemicals to kill parasites. It is extremely beneficial if your dog suffers from parasitic infections. With these shampoos, you can kill two birds with one stone. They help in alleviating the parasites, as well as decrease the dryness on the skin.
Next on the list is to look if the shampoo contains a healing formula for bacteria and infections. Usually, these kinds of shampoos are medicated, and you can get them from a vet. Or else, you can search yourself for the shampoo that contains both these elements. IVS Pet has a wide range of shampoos specifically targeting itching skin.
Alcohol dries out the skin that causes itchiness and flakiness. Shampoos with alcohol can also make your pet’s skin sensitive. Whenever you are looking for the best shampoo, always get an alcohol-free option. It will have no bad reactions on the dog’s skin.
If you still have any questions, visit your vet to get the best suggestions for a shampoo suited for dry skin dogs.
Which Ingredients Should I Avoid?
Try to keep in mind that not all dog shampoos are made the same way. Each has a different formula that targets a specific problem. Carefully examine the list of ingredients mentioned in the back. Avoid the product that contains:
- Artificial fragrance
- Artificial dyes
Instead, look for shampoos that have natural fragrance. They keep your pet safe from irritation and dryness.
Follow these steps to find the best dog shampoos for dry skin.